Re: PGTK-related misconceptions

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: PGTK-related misconceptions
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:14:09 +0530

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 at 18:54, Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> I believe there's something called "X-Wayland" for running X programs
>> under Wayland, in case that's the missing piece of the puzzle?
>>
>> IIUC you can use that to run the same (single) X build of emacs when
>> you're using Wayland that you use when you're not, which avoids the
>> problem you've described.
>
> If you have a HiDPI monitor, an X application on an X server gets full
> resolution, a Wayland application on a Wayland compositor gets full
> resolution, but an X application via Xwayland on a Wayland compositor
> gets rendered at low resolution and then upscaled. It’s a non-starter.

Yup. I had a very hard time without-pgtk on a HiDPI monitor. Tried all
sorts of scaling and font-sizing. Nothing worked. I am using
xwayland. Because that is now default in Debian desktop environment
(Gnome). So I started using PGTK build. And for my use-case, I have not
faced any issues till now. It has been two months. Fonts look awesome.