Re: PGTK-related misconceptions

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: PGTK-related misconceptions
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:27:57 +0800

Trey Peacock <gpg@treypeacock.com> writes:

> Neither of the WMs I mentioned use GNOME Shell, but they do both use
> wlroots. Looking into this, it seems that any wlroots based Wayland
> compositor will use GDK_MOD4_MASK as Super. However, mutter (GNOME's
> WM) uses GDK_SUPER_MASK. Rebuilding emacs with the below patch seems
> to have fixed the issue. I'm not sure if there could be further
> implications for pgtk_emacs_to_gtk_modifiers.

GDK_MOD4_MASK is a real modifier.  GDK_SUPER_MASK is a "virtual
modifier" mask.

The entire point of that change was to rely on GDK to compute the
correspondence between real modifiers and virtual modifiers instead of
doing it ourselves, since a real modifier can mean any number of virtual
modifiers and vice versa.

Hard-coding the meaning of GDK_MOD4_MASK would be a step backwards.

This seems to either be a bug in wlroots or GDK, so I suggest that a bug
be filed with their developers.