Re: PGTK-related misconceptions

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: PGTK-related misconceptions
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:29:28 +1200

On 2022-04-19 21:10, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
I regularly use both X and Wayland, and having to have two emacsen
(and remember to use the right one) just for that seems sub-optimal.

I believe there's something called "X-Wayland" for running X programs
under Wayland

It's a compatibility layer, basically, and not a great one.  I was
having various basic focus and clipboard problems when running Lucid
Emacs under Xwayland.

Ah, ok.  In that case I guess one really would prefer to install both
builds, if using both Wayland and X at different times.

I imagine one could mostly circumvent the "remember to use the right one"
issue by automatically setting PATH based on which system you were using
at that time, so that "emacs" was always going to be the correct emacs.

-Phil