Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 21:16:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I think I've found the problem.  A new version of ncurses was
>> installed on my machine on 2022-05-01.  It contains a version of
>> terminfo, specifically /etc/terminfo/l/linux.
>>
>> The new version is ncurses-6.3_p20211106.  The old version was
>> ncurses-6.2_p20210619.
>>
>> So, possibly we need to amend Emacs (? src/term.c) to work properly
>> on this version of the Linux console.
>
> Amend how?  I still don't understand where did <backtab> come from.
> If you do understand, can you describe that?

I never use the Linux console (unless something is severely broken) but
can confirm Alan's observation.  With emacs -Q -nw , all of M-TAB, ESC
TAB, and C-M-i say <backtab> is undefined.  That happens with emacs 27,
28, and the current master.  I also have ncurses 6.3 which ships with
tons of files below /usr/share/terminfo/ including the l/linux Alan
mentioned.

I don't have a previous ncurses version handy to test if a downgrade
would help.

Bye,
Tassilo