Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 09:20:17 +0300

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 21:07:04 +0000
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>   Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> Maybe the best thing we can do in Emacs is to remove that entry for "kB"
> in src/term.c.  That would prevent Emacs recognising <shift>TAB on all
> these misconfigured keyboards.  I think that is a lesser evil than
> failing to recognise <meta>TAB.

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  Emacs shouldn't try
second-guessing the user's keyboard configuration, it isn't in our
mandate.

If the terminfo database you have doesn't do what you want, why can't
you modify it?  The tools to do that are available, and aren't part of
Emacs.  (We could include the instructions for making such a change in
PROBLEMS, if this is a common issue.)  Of course, the best solution
would be if the distro changes the terminfo database.