Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 02:47:41 +0700

On Thu, 5 May 2022 at 02:10, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> I don't understand it either, yet.  To be sure that terminfo is the
> problem, I'll have to do something like reinstalling the old version of
> ncurses, and seeing the problem is no longer there.
>
> But in src/term.c L1258 appears:
>
>       {"kB", "backtab"},    /* terminfo */
>
> The "kB" is a terminfo code for back-tab, and the "backtab" might
> somehow be the source for the "[backtab] is undefined" error message.

You might be on to something.

    $ infocmp linux
    #       Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /lib/terminfo/l/linux
    linux|Linux console,
            am, bce, ccc, eo, mir, msgr, xenl, xon,
            …
            kb2=\E[G, kbs=^?, kcbt=\E^I, kcub1=\E[D, kcud1=\E[B,
            …

In other words, the terminfo database declares a capability named
‘kcbt’ with the value ESC TAB. And ‘man terminfo’ says ‘kcbt’ is the
backtab key.