Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What's happened to M-<tab> `completion-at-point'?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 16:16:53 -0400

>     $ infocmp linux
>     #       Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /lib/terminfo/l/linux
>     linux|Linux console,
>             am, bce, ccc, eo, mir, msgr, xenl, xon,
>
>             kb2=\E[G, kbs=^?, kcbt=\E^I, kcub1=\E[D, kcud1=\E[B,
>

> In other words, the terminfo database declares a capability named
> ‘kcbt’ with the value ESC TAB. And ‘man terminfo’ says ‘kcbt’ is the
> backtab key.

Indeed.  And then Emacs's C code builds a default `input-decode-map`
which maps ESC TAB to `backtab`.

This is a weird choice, tho (on their side).
AFAIK the `backtab` is usually used for `S-tab` rather than `M-tab`.

What do you get if you hit the TAB key together with the Shift modifier?
Does Emacs also receive the ESC TAB byte sequence in that (and then maps
it back (correctly this time) to `backtab`)?

You should definitely report this as a problem.

        Stefan