Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 15:13:44 -0400

> Is there any accepted authentication app which is free software and
> runs on a free GNU/Linux system?  The word "app" suggests that they
> run on nonfree snoopphone operating systems.

Yes, what people often call "authentication app" is a misnomer which
I resent (it's often accompanied with an application name or a link to
it, suggesting that the software (typically proprietary, of course) is
the one and only you can use).  It really (usually) means the
authentication uses the TOTP protocol, for which there are several Free
Software implementations readily available.

> As for hardware keys, in principle there could be one that is
> acceptable.  I investigated the Yubikey some years ago and ISTR I
> found it requires nonfree software.  Which option can people
> recommend?

AFAIK the Somu (and presumably other Solokeys) does not require any
proprietary software.  I'd be happy to hear confirmation from someone
who actually dug into the matter, tho.

        Stefan