Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:25:50 -0400

    > Can you summarize in 10 or 20 lines the job that davmail does?  No
    > need for little details -- we don't need those to evaluate what
    > davmail can do for us.  But we need to know at a broad level what job
    > it does, or we can't think about it.

    I quote from the website for davmail [1]:

       "The main goal of DavMail is to provide standard compliant protocols
        in front of proprietary Exchange.

Thanks.  That explains clearly what job davmail does.

It seems that davmail is a program that you run onyour machine, and it
communicates over the internet with an internet service.

Stretching the word "service" to include davmail makes the crucial
distinction less clear.  For clarity's sake, let's no call it that.

ISTR that davmail is free software.  If so, this might be a good
solution for accessing Microsoft Exchange.  If only there were
something similar for Gmail.