Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 07:58:03 +0100

On Thursday, 12 May 2022 at 06:36, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I see that davmail is a program; it is not a service.  It is something
> you can install and run, not something outside your machine that your
> machine can talk with.

Sure but it acts as an intermediary to talk to something outside your
machine which is why I consider this to be both program and service in
your parlance.

> Can you summarize in 10 or 20 lines the job that davmail does?  No
> need for little details -- we don't need those to evaluate what
> davmail can do for us.  But we need to know at a broad level what job
> it does, or we can't think about it.

I quote from the website for davmail [1]:

   "The main goal of DavMail is to provide standard compliant protocols
    in front of proprietary Exchange. This means LDAP for global address
    book, SMTP to send messages, IMAP to browse messages on the server
    in any folder, POP to retrieve inbox messages only, Caldav for
    calendar support and Carddav for personal contacts sync. Thus any
    standard compliant client can be used with Microsoft Exchange.

    DavMail gateway is implemented in java and should run on any
    platform. Releases are tested on Windows, Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac
    OSX. Tested successfully with the Iphone (gateway running on a
    server)."

HTH,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-05-10) on Debian 11.3