Re: plz -> curl?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: plz -> curl?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:10:20 -0400

>> People will choose the names they want for their packages, and that's
>> fine -- it's a free world, and aggressively trying to make people change
>> the names of their packages isn't only rude, it's counter productive.
> Politely discouraging a counter-productive practice such as naming
> packages in a confusing way is neither rude nor counter-productive.

There's a long tradition in ELisp to use "made up" names, like `eglot`
and `plz`.  AFAICT this is not gratuitous but is the result of having to
avoid naming conflicts.  E.g. `lsp-mode` uses the `lsp-` prefix, so any
package which chooses a name that starts with `lsp-` risks causing
a conflict.

It's always easy to retrospectively decide which package should have
which name (after the dust has settled and one of the contenders for
a given name has accrued a decisive advantage), but backward
compatibility as well as the need to choose a name before the dust has
settled (which can take a very long time) mean that non-obvious names
are here to stay.

I don't see any need to fight them or even discourage them.
Instead we need to work on improving discoverability based on other
things than merely the package name.

        Stefan