Re: master 97400c4c24: Make printing mostly non-recursive (bug#55481)

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 97400c4c24: Make printing mostly non-recursive (bug#55481)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 09:09:37 +0800

Mattias EngdegÄrd <mattiase@acm.org> writes:

> I wasn't sure and there appeared to be considerable variation in the
> existing source (almost 300 cases of bracket on the same line, against
> 500-something with the bracket on a separate line), so I went with the
> former since it is more economic in vertical space without worsening
> readability.

Unfortunately, that contradicts our own coding standards.

> Naturally I'll change if that is important, but then there's a lot of
> code to change, and apparently there is no clear consensus among
> previous authors.

All of that code is formatted incorrectly, but reformatting existing
code breaks various things, such as vc-annotate.  What I think is wrong
is to introduce new instances of the incorrect formatting (such as
here), since our coding standards say:

  For struct and enum types, likewise put the braces in column one,
  unless the whole contents fits on one line:

    struct foo
    {
      int a, b;
    }