Re: [ELPA] New package: srht

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: srht
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 08:05:40 +0200

Aleksandr Vityazev <avityazev@posteo.org> writes:

Hi Aleksandr,

>> Oh, I finally made it!  It seems you cannot use an OAuth 2.0 token
>> but must use a legacy one.  I'm not sure whose fault that is.  I use
>> a sr.ht OAuth 2.0 token in hut (the command line client for sr.ht)
>> without issues.  I think that uses the same REST/GraphQL APIs.
>
> Sourcehut REST API does not support OAuth2 [1], also worth clarifying.
> I don't use hut, but after looking a bit, I can tell that only GraphQl
> with API2.0 is used there. There is a GraphQl library for Emacs, but
> unfortunately neither elpa nor non-gnu elpa has it.

Isn't it a bit unfortunate that this new package starts by using the
REST APIs which are described as legacy already and superseeded by the
GraphQL APIs (which are, confessedly, not yet complete for all
services)?  I think the REST APIs will be functional in the mid-term
future, but...

And is GraphQL really so different to REST?  I've never used the former
but at a cursory glance I have the impression that they are quite
similar just that the former is "GraphQL query in, JSON out" whereas the
latter is "JSON in, JSON out".  Is that wrong?

That's mostly to Stefan: WRT, the graphql library [1]: Wouldn't it make
sense to contact the author to include it in GNU ELPA as soon as
possible given that GraphQL seems to be trending nowadays?  Right now,
there's basically just the single author plus some commits from Jonas
(tarsius, the Magit author) who has already signed the CA (plus some
1-line status badge fix by someone else).

Bye,
Tassilo

[1] https://github.com/vermiculus/graphql.el/