Re: [ELPA] New package: plz

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: plz
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 20:10:13 +0200

>> really is no alternative; these url.el bugs caused an endless stream of
>> bug reports in my packages, and once we figured out the causes, waiting
>> a few more years until the fixes are in Emacs just wasn't an option
>> anymore.
>
> This is a false dichotomy.  You can install your advice and hacks in
> your package so it works Right Now™ *AND* submit patches upstream so it
> gets fixed for all in the longer term.
>
> Where did you get the idea that you had to choose?

That wasn't what I was trying to say.  These bugs have been fixed in
Emacs (either a recent release or the master branch) but since not
everyone immediately updates to the latest release (much less the master
branch) I do have to provide backports.

Of course switching to something other than url.el won't immediately
address that either and maybe hoping that basing Emacs networking on an
established third-party library would reduce the number and/or severity
of the bugs in the long run is illusory too.

I guess all I can say with any certainty is that in the past if found
url.el painful to use and have seen others share similar experiences.
And that, as layman, I have a hunch that using libcurl might help.