Re: [ELPA] New package: plz

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: plz
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 20:16:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
>>
>> TL;DR Maybe this was overly negative.  That wasn't my intention.  What I
>> really want to say is this: could someoneā„¢ with experience in this area
>> pretty please start working on bringing libcurl to Emacs?
>
> Are we confident enough that libcurl can satisfy Emacs's needs?
> Shouldn't someoneā„¢ first study our requirements and make sure they can
> be fulfilled by using libcurl?  It is not immediately clear to me that
> the answer is YES because Emacs in many cases has some unique
> requirements that other applications not necessarily have.

No, not really.  This is a layman's opinion based on the perceived
success of this library.  Maybe there are better solutions.  Maybe
another third-party library would be a better fit or maybe url.el
just needs more loving.

Then again, if curl is good enough to be used on Mars, then it
should be good enough for Emacs. ;D