RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while insta

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:46:32 +0000

> why can't you understand that someone thinks
> it's a good idea if the package description
> is displayed as the author intended?

I'd say as the _user_ intends, not the author.

Displaying a package description is for the
benefit of the user, not the author.  It's
about what's most useful for users.

Best is this, I think:

1. Require a plain-text README, as a minimum.
2. Allow other formats, with appropriate file
   extensions (e.g. .md, .org).

I see no reason for any limit on the kinds of
format, for #2.

There should be, and likely are, simple ways
to generate a plain-text README from this or
that more structured format.  Condition #1
shouldn't be an obstacle to anyone, I'd think.

> I've just tried org-exporting the vertico README.org to a plain-text
> UTF-8 version and have to confess, the result is really, really
> intriguing.  So, yes, such a conversion is at least much better as the
> status quo where the org syntax is displayed literally without
> highlighting.  (I almost don't perceive the org/markdown syntax when
> there's syntax highlighting but if there isn't, it looks annoying.)

For Org, at least, that seems to confirm my
guess that such conversion's already available.

> One problem with the "conversion on installation"
> approach you suggest is that this would load org,
> too, so the arguments against using/loading
> org for display would also apply here.

Why shouldn't a plain-text README be required
at the outset, as part of every package?

(Another possibility, if a plain-text README
that's equivalent to a structured readme isn't
provided, is to allow a plain-text README that
tells you how to convert the structured readme
to a plain-text version.  But I don't see why
plain text shouldn't just be a requirement.)