RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while insta

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 01:18:46 +0000

> > There are lots of nice, rendered or renderable
> > fancy formats, including Org and Markdown, HTML,
> > PDF, Info/TexInfo.
> >
> > Packages should, I think, be able to provide
> > whatever they like, as long as they also provide
> > some simple README.
> >
> > (And again, that simple, plain-text README need
> > not try to say or do all that another format
> > might do.  IMO.)
>
> While what you say makes sense, can we reasonably expect the package
> authors to provide an extra README file for every single package?

I think we can.  But only if we ask for it.

> If it was the case, this thread would simply not
> show up. ASCII README would be always available.

No, not if we've never requested that it be included.

If we request it then it'll be provided more often,
I expect.
___

[ But we can't even get vanilla Emacs itself to add
  README's for Emacs releases on MS Windows anymore,
  as it says we can (in the overall Windows README).
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-05/msg01378.html
]