Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 10:58:56 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  acm@muc.de,  gregory@heytings.org,
>   mattiase@acm.org,  philipk@posteo.net,  silent2600@gmail.com,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 15:31:21 +0800
>
> > Modes do what they want, and in some cases we have hard time even
> > convincing the mode developers that they should try to avoid doing
> > that.
>
> Then maybe we should not impose our opinion of what narrowing is best on
> major mode developers?

We decided that we do want to impose our opinion, because not doing so
results in Emacs being unusable, which is a long-standing gripe of our
users.

> Forcing restrictions on user code never works.

fontification-functions are not user code.

> Sooner or later, developers will start performing fontification in a
> timer, in order to widen past the "locked narrowing".

Long-running timer functions, if they are not interruptible, are a
clear bug in the package that does such things, so any such timers
will come back as a boomerang to those developers.