Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 16:42:33 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> We decided that we do want to impose our opinion, because not doing so
> results in Emacs being unusable, which is a long-standing gripe of our
> users.

Since this problem wasn't bad enough for major mode developers to care
about in the past, what makes you think they will fix it now?

IMHO, it is much better to make what can be fixed right now (by being
present in the Emacs repository) explictly use the "new" narrowing, and
not interfere with user code that does not concern us.

And what if someone wants to write a fontification function whose
results depend, for example, on a single character at a known position
outside of the accessible region? That cannot result in a freeze, but is
impossible outside of a timer function when "locked narrowing" is in
effect.

> fontification-functions are not user code.

Anything not under our control is user code that we are forcing
restrictions onto.

> Long-running timer functions, if they are not interruptible, are a
> clear bug in the package that does such things, so any such timers
> will come back as a boomerang to those developers.

I'm just trying to demonstrate what will happen once the forced
narrowing starts to interfere with the operation of various pieces of
third party code, which might possibly be discovered some time after
Emacs 29 is released.  Long-running fontification was not a significant
source of complaints for their developers in the past, and things are
likely to remain that way.