Re: Progress on merging Eglot?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Progress on merging Eglot?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 13:55:11 +0000

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 1:34 PM Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I remember reading a discussion on possibly merging Eglot (language
>> server client) to Emacs core. I also distinctly remember author wished
>> to hack on it in the core after merging.
>>
>> Since it is already on ELPA, are there any more blockers to merge it?
>

> Hi,
>
> The only blocker -- as far as I am aware -- is the amount of time I have
> to dedicate to this.
>
> A sequence of concrete actions needs to be laid down to reach these
> objectives:

[...]

> 2. Preserve the full Git history of the eglot.el file after it has been
>    merged.

[...]

> 5. Arrange for the eglot.el file in Eglot's current upstream --
>    https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot -- to mirror
>    src/progmodes/eglot.el, ideally (but not necessarily) automatically
>
>    This is so that:
>
>    5.1 Users of bare Git clones can continue mostly unimpeded.
>
>    5.2 GitHub users can still suggest changes as "Pull Requests"
>        via GitHub's interface
>
>    5.3 The current GitHub actions CI -- where installation of third-party
>        language servers is relatively easy -- can run at least the current
>        eglot-tests.el.

[...]

> Items 2 and 5 are the ones I'm not 100% sure on how to make
> happen. But I'm pretty sure they are possible given sufficient Git
> skills.

It might be possible to add Eglot's history as a branch, then move
elgot.el to the right position and merge the branches.  Another approach
could be to "rebase" Eglot's repository with artificial commits that
match those in the actual repository.  In either case, the main problem
is that the (908) commits in the repository don't appear to be in the
conventional changelog format, and I don't think there is an easy way to
automatically fix that.