Re: Progress on merging Eglot?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Progress on merging Eglot?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 15:26:30 +0100

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> In either case, the main problem is that the (908) commits in the
>>> repository don't appear to be in the conventional changelog format,
>>> and I don't think there is an easy way to automatically fix that.
>>
>> Can you point to examples?  And why do you say it's a "main problem"?
>
> I should have been more concrete, a lot of messages appear to reference
> issues in the elgot issue tracker, that wouldn't make much sense in
> emacs.git.

Ah, yes.  Well, in that case, I wouldn't mind rewriting the the whole
history -- once -- and adding a search and replace.  So item 2 can
become:

   2. Preserve the full Git history of the eglot.el file after it has been
      merged.

      Before merging, it's OK to rewrite commit messages with mechanical
      replacements as:

         #[0-9]+ -> https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/\1

In my view, this should catch _most_ of the issue references, but I'm
personally OK with missing a few.  Many messages start with

  'Fix #123: Bar kittens'
  'Close #123: Blither Foo

They can be adapted to be just "Bar kittens" and "Blither foo" with the
aforementioned link in some other line of the commit message.  Scripts
for doing this are appreciated.

João