Re: Progress on merging Eglot?

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Progress on merging Eglot?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 22:18:47 +0530

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> [Sorry, I took part of this conversation off-list by mistake.  Bringing it
> back.]
>
> Cool, I'll put you down for item 2 then!  I recommend the tool
> https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo.  Here's an example of how it's
> used.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60863773/git-bulk-change-of-commit-dates
>
> This tool seems to be preferred over `git filter-branch` nowadays and is
> easy to
> combine with whatever scripting language you're comfortable with.
>
> I've used one of the two in the past (can't remember which).  There are
> others, so choose your poison. I also vaguely  remember that running the
> script on windows was about a million times slower than on a GNU/linux
> box.
> Also not sure if that holds anymore.
>
> So the inputs should be Eglot's main repo (master branch) and some branch
> of the emacs.git repo.  The output should be something like a new
> lisp/progmodes/eglot.el added and then some 900+ commits on top of it.
> Place this on a git branch somewhere so we can look at it.
>
> We'll probably need to make adjustments, so make sure to post the script
> somewhere with instructions on how to use it.

Thanks a ton for pointers! I think I got most of it down, if any more
questions, will reach back out.

One thing I'm thinking is, is there any possibility of PRs being
referred in commit messages? If so, the */issues/num won't work, and
*/pulls/num will have to be used. That means probably involving curl.

This looks fun :)

--
Payas