Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 09:27:28 -0400

Eli Zaretskii [2022-09-09 15:53:12] wrote:
> The theory is well-understood, I think.  What we need is measurements
> in various usage scenarios.

Indeed.

> Btw, slow/congested network suffer not only from packet per second
> issue, but also from packet loss.

That still only affects the "per packet" behavior.

Gerd Möllmann [2022-09-09 14:59:19] wrote:
> Where the size of packets differs in interactive use, I think.  I mean,
> I can't imagine how to use SSH interactively if it waited until packets
> are large enough.

Indeed, but that tends to affect the other direction (from the keyboard
to the remote) more significantly.  For redisplay, we can send the whole
byte sequence as a single "write".  Most simple redisplays should result
in a single packet.

> Hm.  Hard to tell what effect that packeting has.  How does SSH decide
> to send something over the network in interactive mode?

I assume it sends it "as soon as possible", modulo something like
Nagle's algorithm.

BTW, nowadays I tend to use `mosh` for many of my "ssh" connections,
where the behavior may be yet different since `mosh` does the "terminal
emulation" rendering on the remote host (into the equivalent of our
glyph matrix) and then uses an ad-hoc protocol (over UDP) to update the
local "glass".  So it does its own optimizations (comparing its "glyph
matrix" to what (it thinks) is currently on the glass) and I'm not sure
how/if it's affected by ours.

        Stefan