Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:48:17 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Would having a "quick-help" menu along these lines for common
>> operations make sense for GNU Emacs as well?
>
> See also `which-keys', a package that I think is useful enough that we
> should distribute and enable it by default.

I hear this a lot, but it seems to me that the "feel" (for lack of a
better word) for which-keys is different from everything else in Emacs
by default.  Window management can be fragile enough to begin with, but
having a mode enabled by default that disturbs the current window layout
and visible parts of the buffer whenever a user isn't quick enough -- in
other words does nothing -- is something I don't think should be the
case by default.