Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 13:48:39 -0400

> What kind of prefix keys are we talking about?  Could you give me a
> recent example for where which-key was useful to you (or anyone else)?

For me, it's all of them.  But how about `C-x r' or `C-x C-k'?

> But none of this is necessary when you press C-h.  The only disadvantage
> is that you would have to repeat the prefix, but I think that could be
> changed.

(BTW, if we are talking about messing up window layouts, `C-h' does too.
Even more so than `which-key', IME.)

> I personally think this is an advantage (though I wouldn't put it the
> way you did).  To me `which-key' -- the way it is configured by default
> -- seems fragile and unreliable.  A help buffer is just-another-buffer
> and doesn't appear to be an exception to the rest of how Emacs works.

I don't see anything exceptional.  Emacs already shows the key in the
echo area by default, it just doesn't give you all the useful help that
`which-key' does.