Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string f

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string from code that runs on X
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 08:48:53 +0000

I'm puzzled.  Is that with emacs -Q?

No.  I don't develop software in "emacs -Q".

That question means "Can you please try to reproduce the issue with emacs -Q?". If not, it's probably something that is specific to your configuration.

I'm at 9035c20888, and all links seem to be fontified and to work correctly, each one takes me to the right place in the Makefile. Do you have a recipe, perhaps?

The recipe is not very relevant, since we already know the fix. Which is to remove indentation and leading dashes from the message.

There is nothing much different in that message from any other "echo" in other Makefiles, and I don't see why a leading indentation could change the way a pattern such as "[Makefile:412: advice-on-failure]" is detected and fontified. It seems like a bug somewhere. If you replace dashes with, say, '*', or '.', or numbers like "1." and "2.", is your problem solved?

At the same time, it would be good to remove bullet lists from the message, and reword it in plain English.

That's your opinion. Nobody else said something similar, and I disagree. What such an advice should display is a bullet list of possible actions, that the use can copy-paste and immediately try.

Emphasis is better conveyed verbally, rather than with exclamation marks and capitals.

That's perhaps correct in a docstring or a manual, but not in a terminal, in which capitals and e.g. or colors are commonly used to put emphasis on something.