Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string f

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string from code that runs on X
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 11:24:00 +0000

That question means "Can you please try to reproduce the issue with emacs -Q?". If not, it's probably something that is specific to your configuration.

But it used to work. So this has broken how I work with Emacs, and I want it changed.

And no, it doesn't happen in emacs -Q.

Apparently you have a bug in your configuration, why should Emacs be adapted to circumvent the bug in your configuration?

There is nothing much different in that message from any other "echo" in other Makefiles, and I don't see why a leading indentation could change the way a pattern such as "[Makefile:412: advice-on-failure]" is detected and fontified. It seems like a bug somewhere. If you replace dashes with, say, '*', or '.', or numbers like "1." and "2.", is your problem solved?

The problem seems to be indentation in the Makefile.

That can't be the cause of the problem you see. The message is indented with exactly two spaces, like all other "CC", "ELC", "GEN", "INFO"... messages.

What exactly is the problem with making the message easier to understand for others, even though you yourself think it is fine?

Because I do not think your message is easier to understand, I find it more difficult to understand. When say git prints an error message, it's not a paragraph in prose. Do you know other program that prints a paragraph in prose when a failure occurs?

But since no colors are used here, that is besides the point. Printing a message like this upon something as simple as a Makefile failing:

!BEWARE! ...mundane advice..
!BEWARE! ...mundane advice..
!BEWARE! ...mundane advice..

amounts to what is considered by normal people as yelling in their faces, which is not welcome in software, or in real life.

No, these !BEWARE! are like a traffic warning script. If the warning text itself had been written in capitals, that could have been considered as "yelling".