Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:41:50 +0200

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>>> +This function is called with no arguments when Emacs notices that a
>>> +frame may have gotten or lost focus.  Focus events are delivered
>>
>> "the focus may have moved to or from the frame." is how it usually
>> written in X documentation, and I think that is a little clearer.

Hm...  I'm not sure that's clearer...

>> Also, why not add the following as well:
>>
>> when no window manager is running, or inside child frames, the focus
>> can also be set "implicitly" by the mouse pointer entering a frame.
>
> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
> focus-follows-mouse policy.

The original text was longer and tried to explain too much, I think --
it made it all sound very complex, scary and difficult to deal with.  So
I tried to make it short and purposefully vague instead of enumerating
all different things that may and may not have happened, because that
didn't seem helpful.