Re: Memory problems update

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Memory problems update
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:29:22 +0800

Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> I finally did, and, under X11 (non-toolkit build), things have indeed
> improved drastically.  With my full configuration, Emacs went down to
> allocating "only" ~100Mb per day with that fix.  Then, just on a whim, i
> tried to disable a trick i use to hide the modelines, by altering their
> faces like this (yes, it's a dirty hack, and i'm probably missing a
> better way):
>
>     (let ((bg (frame-parameter nil 'background-color))
>           (ol "burlywood3")
>           (ul "grey65"))
>       (set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil :box nil :height 1
>                           :background bg :foreground bg
>                           :overline ol :underline ul :extend t)
>       (set-face-attribute 'mode-line-inactive nil :box nil :height 1
>                           :background bg :foreground bg
>                           :underline ul :extend t)))
>
> now, when i do *not* use the above code, extra RAM per day goes down
> from 100Mb to less than 20Mb.  Does that make any sense?  Maybe it's a
> red-herring.
>
> So, in X11, i am much happier: things stabilise at around 700Mb, with
> only small increments, and i can also see Emacs returning memory to the
> system every now and then.

Right.  I can't say as to whether or not that was the leak in
`mouse-position', but if it stabilises then I guess it isn't a problem
anymore.

> Unfortunately, the situation with the pgtk build has not improved at
> all.  I actually think it's gone worse since i last tried: a pgtk emacs
> running in wayland (i've tried with sway and river) goes up to a 2Gb
> footprint in just a couple hours of use (and shows no sign of stopping).
> So there i stick to tty emacs in kitty or foot (BTW, i think the bug fix
> you mention above also affected tty emacs, because it's also consuming
> around 25% less memory than it used to).

That's quite odd, but I suspect a memory fragmentation issue if you have
lots of frames (or child frames) and frequently resize them.

What if you turn off all packages that utilize child frames?