Re: Memory problems update

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Memory problems update
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:11:00 +0100

On Fri, Sep 23 2022, Po Lu wrote:

[...]

>> Unfortunately, the situation with the pgtk build has not improved at
>> all.  I actually think it's gone worse since i last tried: a pgtk emacs
>> running in wayland (i've tried with sway and river) goes up to a 2Gb
>> footprint in just a couple hours of use (and shows no sign of stopping).
>> So there i stick to tty emacs in kitty or foot (BTW, i think the bug fix
>> you mention above also affected tty emacs, because it's also consuming
>> around 25% less memory than it used to).
>
> That's quite odd, but I suspect a memory fragmentation issue if you have
> lots of frames (or child frames) and frequently resize them.

Turns out i almost never open more than one frame in graphic mode (i use
window configurations to switcht between "workspaces", saved from
registers, and the only emacs frame is typically maximized in a tiling
compositor) [1].

> What if you turn off all packages that utilize child frames?

I don't think i use any child frame either, with the exception of
corfu's. I'll try with company instead (or with old good standard
completion) and report back.

Thanks,
jao

[1] To make things even funnier, i /do/ use frames in tty mode, because
there recovering complex window configurations from registers tends to
garble the (re)display, while switching between tty frames with the same
configurations does not (so i stopped investigating that problem).