Re: Supporting stylistic sets

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Supporting stylistic sets
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:00:51 +0300

> From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <lumarzeli30@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:15:23 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  I don't understand: how does this handle the case where a certain
>  character has more than 2 alternative glyphs? which alternative will
>  be selected?
>
> I was answering this question, I thought you were asking what would happen if
> we pass multiple tags for the
> same glyph.

You are suggesting that we let the font and the shaping engine decide
which alternative to use?  That sounds un-Emacsy to me.  For the use
case where only specific characters should be affected, I think we
should have a facility whereby users could specify, for each character
that has alternatives, which one to use.