Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:01:30 +0100

Philip,

I pulled the latest commits and tried to install `modus-themes',
`vterm', `mentor', and `orderless'.  Everything worked like magic.

In each case, I simply added the `vc' prefix and a pair of parentheses
in `-vc-selected-packages'.  I then restarted Emacs and everything
always installed and worked flawlessly.  The `vterm' package also
compiled its C library without any problems.  Magic!

Old:

(with-eval-after-load 'package
  (add-to-list 'package-vc-selected-packages 'modus-themes))

New:

(with-eval-after-load 'package-vc
  (add-to-list 'package-vc-selected-packages '(modus-themes)))

Then:

(add-hook 'after-init-hook
          #'package-vc-install-selected-packages
          -99)

[Simpler than `package', which needs additional babysitting with
`(package-refresh-contents)'.  Perfect!]

That said, When I updated my config to install from VC, I noticed that
`elpa' in `.emacs.d' now contained two versions of the packages, one
from `package' and one from `package-vc'.

I executed `package-autoremove', but it made me wonder if having two
versions, even if temporarily, will cause problems for the people
upgrading from `package' to `package-vc'.

As a side note, you mentioned that `package-install' works for both
"normal" and VC packages?  I guess `package-autoremove' does that too?
I looked at the documentation for both and they mention just
`package-selected-packages'.

And speaking of `-autoremove', should we also add `-vc-autoremove'?

For the only problem I have, I could not install `geiser'.  I got
"user-error: Package has no VC data", and I kept wondering what the user
should do in this situation.  I had no idea where to look.

I will try more packages in the coming days or weeks!

P.S. The documentation for the `package-vc-selected-packages' variable
contains a typo "... you cal also use ...".

Rudy
--
"Logic is a science of the necessary laws of thought, without which no
employment of the understanding and the reason takes place."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia