Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 10:05:02 -0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> I hope you will reconsider this approach of adding everything to core
> at some point.

Historically, yes, everything was added to core.  Not so much in the
last decade or so: what I see is that we are gradually working towards
reducing our scope, and moving inessential things out (see the
lisp/obsolete directory).  I think this is a good thing, and we should
continue that work.

The new things that do get added tend to be key features and libraries
where it *really* makes sense to have them in core.  We must provide
some minimal set of features by default if Emacs is to be useful to
anyone, so this is also a good thing.

But my argument was not about this.  The idea was that keeping
use-package external might make it easier for us to leverage the
community that already exists around that package (see the 150+ issues
in the tracker, open pull requests, etc.).

On the other hand, moving it to core might entice parts of that existing
community to engage with core development.  That would also be a good
thing.

So, at the end of the day, I'm sure we'll be fine either way.