Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 22:08:33 +0200

> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:19:00 +0100 (CET)
> From: xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > The packages in lisp/ aren't orphans, just look at the Git logs.  (How
> > can you seriously consider the Lisp packages in core "frozen" when we
> > average 5000 commits a year for the past ten years??  Where do all
> > those commits go, in your opinion?)
> >

> There seems to be many like allout that don't receive a commit for
> decades (apart from a typo fix or two).

Which means they are probably not used by many, or don't need any
changes.  That's natural.

> AFAICT most go to new additions.

Not true.

> Stefan K seems to do a lot of thankless housekeeping in that direction,

I guess you only looked at the last year or two.

> but more importantly there was the force of nature from Lars before you
> ahem frustrated him away, so my criticism mostly applies to from then on;
> by all means if we can get Lars back to fixing the million line
> interdependent Elisp code, I'll grunt no more.  The way I see it options
> are immediately to stop anything else and to hold communions and pray to
> get him back, or just start downsizing.

Once again, I'm talking about the last decade, not the last couple of
years.  You are missing the big picture.

And anyway, I don't see what all this has to do with having a package
in core or not.