Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:03:38 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 03:25:11 -0800
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, jostein@kjonigsen.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       theo@thornhill.no
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The intent is for Emacs 29 to include several modes based on
> > tree-sitter, and several others to have optional features based on
> > tree-sitter.  Based on the state of the soon-to-be-merged branch, I
> > see no reason to declare its support as experimental.
>
> My comment was more general, as IIUC we are still seeing quite a bit of
> movement even in the low-level fundamentals on that branch, as recently
> as the last week or two.

We will merge the tree-sitter branch to master, but Emacs 29 release
is still several moons ahead, and the master branch is used for
developing Emacs, including low-level stuff, all the time.

IOW, the fact that the tree-sitter support is still in flux is normal
and should not preclude us from landing it on master.  And if we want
it to be part of Emacs 29, we cannot wait any longer.

> But if you and others are happy to declare our tree-sitter support
> stable, so much the better.

It is stable enough to have it on master, yes.  Not stable enough to
release Emacs with it, but then Emacs 29 as a whole is nowhere near
that status, either.