Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter a

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:59:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, jostein@kjonigsen.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:46:07 +0100
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Btw, should we add C# to c-ts-mode.el?  Or did we already discuss that and
>> > decided against?  I don't remember, sorry.
>>
>> I don't think we decided against, and we didn't really discuss it. IIRC
>> your "challenge" was for the cc modes already included in emacs, and C#
>> is not that.  But seeing how there's a functioning cc-based c#-mode, I
>> could tweak that to include both.  The Cc mode variant is very stable
>> and have been for some time already.  There's no need to maintain the
>> one in ELPA, and as I'm the author of it I think we can merge both?  So
>> we can have in-tree support for c# whether or not you have tree-sitter
>> enabled?  I can whip up a patch for that if you want, or we could just
>> add the tree-sitter variant.  In any case, I think c#-mode should
>> probably not be inside of c-ts-mode, considering that it's not a
>> superset of C, like C++, but its own entity.
>>
>>  What do you think?
>
> It's fine with me to have C# support both with and without tree-sitter, if
> it's
> indeed easy.

Gotcha.  The few commits that has happened after I rewrote the cc mode
variant should be compliant assignment-wise, but I'll double-check.
Most are very, very small.

@jostein, could we just iterate on it the next couple of days? I can do
the coding, but I'm not bathing in C# these days, so it would be nice
with some real life usage too :-)

Theo