Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 15:05:42 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net,  casouri@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   theo@thornhill.no,  jostein@kjonigsen.net
> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 12:15:10 +0000
>
> >> IIUC these modes aren't ripe yet, or at least aren't satisfying
> >> replacements for the existing modes.
> >
> > What concretely isn't ripe?
>
> Jostein said:
>
>   Me and Theodor faced these same issues with "our" C# and TypeScript
>   major-modes, and the only "clean" way we agreed we could make this
>   work was to create wholly new implementations. I can come up with many
>   good, objective reasons for this, but I think Theodor has already
>   represented this view fairly well.

That's Jostein's opinion.  We've heard it before, and AFAIU the branch
addresses these problems in ways that at least to me look adequate and
consistent with how I'd like to see this feature in Emacs 29.  In
particular, the TypeScript mode in the branch is indeed a separate
mode.

Any other problems that will be flagged before the release we will
handle when they pop up.
> > If that was your reasoning, then I think you are three steps ahead of
> > where we are, and you are trying to find solutions for problems that
> > don't necessarily exist.  We should see what concrete problems are
> > left after the merge, and take it from there.  We have ample time for
> > figuring that out and fixing whatever will need fixing.
>
> You are right, I'll have to test the branch more seriously.

Thanks.