emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:30:54 +0900

> On Oct 7, 2021, at 8:56, Alan Davis <alan3davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That almost gets me to the spotlight and virtual folder concepts of macOS.  I
> do not appreciate
> the walled garden of the Apple world.

(slightly off-topic)

Alan,

I'm certainly not here to promote Apple and non-free software, and the system I
described is indeed based on non-free parts of the system (Finder/Spotlight),
but macOS is also a place where I can build the free software I use every day
with extremely little friction (I'm thinking about emacs, of course, OmegaT,
and a few others). There are also non-free parts in some Linux distributions
and I consider macOS as such a system where more parts are certainly going in
the wrong direction.

As I wrote, I would love to have an equivalent system on Linux with the
following parts (which are essential to my workflow, I'm a translator):

1) a system-wide object tagging system that can be automatically searched
(macOS: tags/spotlight)
2) a system-wide automation system that (relatively easily) transfers data
between GUI applications (macOS: applescript)
3) a system-wide *trivial* way to input French/Japanese/English on my JIS
Qwerty keyboard without having to change the layout (macOS: the keyboard
multilingual facilities are excellent).

If I could get that from a Linux distribution out of the (virtual) box, I would
move right away to the Linux side.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com