emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 14:31:51 +0200

Alan Davis <alan3davis@gmail.com> writes:

> First, I have used git, in fact I used to use it to keep a directory tree
> synchronized on two or three machines.  Like Dropbox.  But it became a
> heavy lift after a month or two, with a variety of different kinds of
> files, large and small, and---unfortunately---the entire history.  I did
> not learn to use Git in the best way, I did not learn to back track into
> the history.  I abandoned the use of git, once it became too confusing to
> keep things straight.  The workflow was terrific; it was convoluted,
> though, after a while.  I use Dropbox on three devices; it is easy, but I
> still end up with "conflicted copies".

Here are some alternatives you could consider:

1. git-annex - This is basically git but for large files, and gives a
Dropbox-like experience with it's git-annex-agent.  I haven't used
this that much, but others swear by it.  A very impressive piece of
software.  You also get the git history for any normal text files, but
not for large binary files (video, etc.).

2. unison - This keeps everything in synch, and IME does a better job
than Dropbox.  Unfortunately, it requires you to use exactly the same
version on all machines, or they will be incompatible.  It has no
history.

3. myrepos - This basically just makes it easy to synch many ordinary
git repositories from the command line.  It is what I use, but it has
the drawback that it's a bit manual (read: when working on my laptop,
I need to start the day by running "mr up" and end it with "mr push").
https://myrepos.branchable.com/

If anyone has any other suggestions, please send them to the list.
This is my current best short-list of tools for synching, but I
haven't looked into this seriously in the last 2-3 years, so the
landscape might have changed.