emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 13:59:08 +0900

> On Oct 19, 2022, at 9:46, Alan Davis <alan3davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A few years ago, I obtained an iMac, and encountered what I remember as
> "virtual folders."  I may be imagining things, as I cannot seem to find
> good information about it.

They are called "Smart Folders" and are basically a display of a complex search
result.

You can search on any type of metadata, among which one that is called "tags".

> Someone mentioned finder on the mac.  This is a
> truly interesting tool.

Finder is the macOS file manager but seen otherwise it is "just" a tool to
display list of files based on various criteria, the most common being "the
contents of that folder".

>  I think there are solutions for GNU/Linux;
> however, most of them seem to take time to learn and set up, if I
> understand the lay of the land.  What I THINK (or perhaps hope) that
> virtual folders can do is to provide a ROBUST way of sorting files into
> meaningful buckets without actually having to move the file, making it
> possible for several virtual folders to include one particular  file.

Indeed. As I wrote above, "smart folders" are just metadata search results
display windows.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://traductaire-libre.org