emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:21:30 +0000

Alan Davis <alan3davis@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for clarifying this.  I will give this a try.  My greatest fear
> is that a set of such folders would be lost during an update, or after
> reinstalling my OS.

Don't worry. They are all saved in a file defined by `bookmark-file'
(variable). You can just back it up or change to `bookmark-file' to
point to your synced backup folder.

Might be relevant: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#TaggingFiles

> I would like to duplicate the functionality of ranger in dired; most
> of it is there, but ranger, as it comes packaged on Manjaro and Arch
> Linux, is set up for viewing pdfs and jpegs almost instantly, where
> the defaults for dired are slower.

For pdfs, I suggest pdf-tools. It is faster.
Images might be slower in Emacs (especially, large images). Though more
recent Emacs versions should work better.

> I also have had to use a separate trash
> system that is weird.

See delete-by-moving-to-trash. When non-nil, it should default to system
trash.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,