Re: [O] [patch] ox-koma-letter.el: credit [3/4]

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [patch] ox-koma-letter.el: credit [3/4]
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:35:57 +0200

Viktor,

Good to hear from you!

>> This is probably the most fun change.  It adds special tags PS, ENCL,
>> CC, AFTER_CLOSING as in my last patch set, but it uses heading this
>> time.  E.g. ENCLs are under the heading * ENCL :ENCL:.  This was
>> suggested by Nicolas, and it's nicer.  The ideas comes from
>> ox-groff.el file ¹.  Thanks Luis!
>
> This is great! A few things:
>
> - It doesn't work because `org-koma-letter-special-content' is set to
>   nil at the beginning of `org-koma-letter-template'. Why is that? If I
>   comment it out everything works.

Hmm, it should be populated by the headline function each time. . .
That is at least the idea.  I.e.
   - When exporting `org-koma-letter-special-content' gets populated
     and is available until next export.
   - When exports run again stuff might have changed so I want to
     repopulate the variable.

Perhaps I had loaded some magic in Emacs when I tested it that wasn't
preserved in the patch.  I'll test it again ASAP.

> - The function `org-koma-letter--get-tagged-content' does not use the
>   `info' argument. Also, the function is not documented.

No it doesn't use info.  I guess it's just for consistency.  It's more
or less taken from ox-groff.  I don't mind removing it.

> - The second argument of `org-koma-letter-headline' is misspelled
>   (`conents').

Thanks!

> - I would remove the formatting from org-koma-letter-ps-prefix and put
>   it in the docstring, simply because the separators for \encl and \cc
>   are also not formatted in the KOMA-Script defaults.

So you'd set org-koma-letter-ps-prefix to nil or ""?  The thing is, in
scrlttr2 does not add a ps-prefix by itself, which seems inconsistent.
So with your suggesting we'd get a more vanilla feel, which I guess
would normally be nice, but here somehow feel inconsistent to me.  I'm
happy to oblige on this issue.

>> One thing I'd like to discuss is whether to adopt headings for TO and
>> FROM also.  The Groff exporter already does so for it's letters.  The
>> main benefit is that it allows for org-syntax.  IMO it's a lot nicer
>> to look at as well.  Check the org-groff site in the footnote for an
>> example.
>
> I am not sure about this. I often write a letter below a task in my
> Org files so I rely on exporting the subtree only. So I would have to
> put the TO address below the letter text which looks weird, but is
> doable. On the other hand, being able to use Org syntax and not have to
> escape linebreaks with `\\' is a big plus.

> Maybe both options could be supported. I.e., use a FROM headline if
> available, but fall back on option lines if not? Or is this too
> confusing for users?

The reason why I didn't add it as this point is that I'd want to keep
it 'backward compatible' and I had to think about it.  I was toying
with introducing a =:with-legacy= variable that would govern which of
=* TO :TO:= and =#+TO_ADDRESS= would be printed if both are present.

What do you think?

Thanks for your comments.
–Rasmus

--