Re: [O] tables, comment in one line, export to html

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] tables, comment in one line, export to html
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 07:56:40 +0200

Hi

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Nicolas Goaziou
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

>> # in non-first columns to mean noexport of the column has the
>> disadvantage of possible confusion with # in the first column where it
>> means special effect for recalculation when using the spreadsheet. As
>> I understand your first paragraph you want to avoid such confusion.
>
> I don't think there is a possible confusion if the manual makes it
> clear.
>
>> <#> I find a bit too near to <5>, <, > or <>.
>
> That was exactly the point, since those all apply to columns, unlike to
> rows special markers. IOW, so far, columns syntax systematically uses <
> or > (or both).
>
>> % or ; used for comments in LaTeX or Emacs Lisp I would find a good
>> space saving single character alternative. Why not % as this would not
>> be the first time that Org borrowed some syntax elements from LaTeX?
>
> Org comment syntax is related to #, not % or ;. I'd rather have similar
> things look similar.

To have similar things look similar and make it clear in the manual I
suggest to change the long existing

  ~/~
     Do not export this line.  Useful for lines that contain the
     narrowing `<N>' markers or column group markers.

  Finally, just to whet your appetite [...]

  ~/~
     Do not export this row or column.  In the first column ~/~ means
     do not export this row which is useful for rows that contain the
     narrowing ~<N>~ markers, column group markers or markers to not
     export a column.  In all other columns ~/~ means do not export
     this column if also the first column is marked with ~/~.  When
     the first column should not be exported move its content other
     than markers into an other column.

  When more than one marker is needed in a column put each in an own
  row with ~/~ in the first column.

  Finally, just to wet your appetite [...]

Michael