Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 08:22:29 -0400

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 5:30 AM <address@hidden> wrote:

> [Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
> citationSuffix = [], citationMode = NormalCitation, citationNoteNum = 0,
> citationHash = 0}] [Str "[@doe]"]]

I just wanted to add a quick note on this, in case anyone is wondering:

That `citationNoteNum` key there would be used internally where the
style "class" was "note-based"; as in, where the processor was
generating citations as footnotes.

In the CSL implementations I'm aware of (pandoc-citeproc with markdown
and org docs, or Zotero with LibreWrtier or MS Word), one can go
back-and-forth between "note-based" and "in-text" without modifying
the markdown source. The code is smart enough to know the different
between a citation in the text (that needs to be "footnoted"), and a
citation already in a footnote (which simply renders to be rendered,
without adding a new footnote), and how to get the correct footnote
numbering across the output document.

Bruce