Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 05:25:08 +1100

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Discourse is nice but I'm not favor of installing an instance for Org.
>
> Beginners often ask questions on reddit.com and stackoverflow.com (and
> perhaps elsewhere): perhaps some regular users of these websites could
> serve as "contributors stewards", redirecting interesting bug reports,
> patches or feature requests on this mailing list.
>
> My gut feeling is that we should focus on making the mailing list more
> accessible for beginners, more useful for everyone before considering
> setting up another communication channel.

+1. We cannot possibly support every user's preferred platform. Besides,
didn't Discord just do an IPO? This increases the likelihood the
platform will now have a much higher revenue focus and could mean it may
transition over time to either a paid model or add advertising or some
other revenue raising model.

(I notice with interest that Google has started transitioning some of
its services which were previously free to a paid model and I wonder if
the free service gravy train might be coming to an end?)