Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:49:54 +0700

On 24/01/2023 16:42, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

On 23/01/2023 17:40, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
I am not even sure if we need to make Org open mid: links via
`browse-url'. Maybe it should be something else? IDK.

Do you know an alternative?
I am mostly concerned that channelling mid: links to browse-url will not
work (open empty page in browser) in most cases. This is more confusing
than not having mid: link handler at all.

For me it may be a reason to not enable to enable "mid:" links by default, but I am still considering `browse-url' as the proper handler.

Code to determine handler is platform-specific, e.g. for Linux

xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/mid
xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler mid

The latter actually calls the former. I would avoid both variants during load time.

If you get browser fallback then you are advanced enough user to avoid a DE. Gnome shows application selection dialog, KDE throws an error window.