emacsconf-org

Re: Translating captions

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Translating captions
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 13:11:45 -0500

Esteban Ordóñez <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:

Hello, all!

>> There are also some commercial speech-to-text services that I might
>> experiment with in case that helps us get captions together
> That would be a step back from your attained freedom. I would be very
> sorry to hear that you did that. Remember that being a model to
> emulate is more impactful than to suggest others to do the right
> thing. I would prefer to find more volunteers to do the transcriptions
> than to give up my freedom. Anyway, it is your call, which I hope
> takes into consideration my goodwill for you.

Yeah, I figured people would be fine waiting the ~10 days or so that it
would take Whisper to process 15 hours of Q&A on our
very-graciously-donated server, so there's no particular rush and I
don't need to, say, throw money and time at figuring out how to spin up
a different VPS with an Nvidia GPU that Whisper could use via CUDA,
since that would probably need proprietary Nvidia drivers anyway. =)

Next year, it would be great to have captioning volunteers on standby
for last-minute submissions and a workflow for getting stuff to them, in
case we can squeeze in a few more transcripts before things go live!

Sacha