Re: [emms-help] [patch] better kill-track

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [emms-help] [patch] better kill-track
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:21:34 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

>> If I don't do C-a C-k I will not kill the entire line in *EMMS
>> Playlist*.  This is nonsense.
>

>> Also, I often have to do C-k C-k since an empty line remains.  This
>> patch fixes both of these issue and makes C-k in *EMMS Playlist* more
>> pleasant IMO.
>>
>> The patch should apply against master.
>
> I've always viewed it as a feature since C-k killing in an Emms playlist
> buffer behaved exactly like it did everywhere else in Emacs; uniformity
> and the principle of least surprise.

I see.  I don't know if we have the same expectation of "least
surprise" in a media program, but that's fine.  In my mind, the
playlist is more like a Gnus summary buffer, where I don't care about
the position within a line, but only which line I'm 'cause one line
represents one entry.

> This means that you can kill a line from the playlist and then
> immediately yank a different line into that space from the kill-ring
> with the exact same muscle memory that works everywhere else.

Should I be able to do C-a C-k in my library and C-y it into my
playlist and expect it to play?  A quick test suggest that this does
not work (the line is added but the track is skipped).  It would be
pretty neat, though.

> But recognizing that people sometime want to just remove the track,
> there has always been the "D" binding in the playlist buffer, aka
> `emms-playlist-mode-kill-entire-track'. Does it do what you want?

No.  Unless I'm at BOL it acts like C-k.  If at BOL it works as if
kill-whole-line is t.  In the patch C-k works like D at BOL
everywhere.

—Rasmus

--
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it