Re: [emms-help] [patch] better kill-track

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: [emms-help] [patch] better kill-track
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:20:38 -0700

FWIW, I'd recommend changing default behavior to make C-k act exactly like it's proposed D act.  I don't see a reasonable use-case for making it kill less than the entire line, including trailing newline, unless we had a concept of a mixed track-and-text buffer, which I don't believe anyone would actually use.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:
Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> If I don't do C-a C-k I will not kill the entire line in *EMMS
>>> Playlist*.  This is nonsense.
>>

>>> Also, I often have to do C-k C-k since an empty line remains.  This
>>> patch fixes both of these issue and makes C-k in *EMMS Playlist* more
>>> pleasant IMO.
>>>
>>> The patch should apply against master.
>>
>> I've always viewed it as a feature since C-k killing in an Emms playlist
>> buffer behaved exactly like it did everywhere else in Emacs; uniformity
>> and the principle of least surprise.
>
> I see.  I don't know if we have the same expectation of "least
> surprise" in a media program, but that's fine.  In my mind, the
> playlist is more like a Gnus summary buffer, where I don't care about
> the position within a line, but only which line I'm 'cause one line
> represents one entry.

C-k in a playlist buffer should indeed go to the beginning of a line and
then kill it. But I think it shouldn't kill-whole-line by default.

>> This means that you can kill a line from the playlist and then
>> immediately yank a different line into that space from the kill-ring
>> with the exact same muscle memory that works everywhere else.
>
> Should I be able to do C-a C-k in my library and C-y it into my
> playlist and expect it to play?  A quick test suggest that this does
> not work (the line is added but the track is skipped).  It would be
> pretty neat, though.

That's interesting, because that definitely works on my machine. Can you
post a recipe?

Here is mine. If I start with this in the playlist buffer and point at
0:

The English Concert - J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No.1 in F...1
The English Concert - J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No.1 in F...2
The English Concert - J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No.1 in F...3
Dame Joan Sutherland/Helen Watts/Wilfred Brown/Thomas Hemsley/G...4
Dame Joan Sutherland/Helen Watts/Wilfred Brown/Thomas Hemsley/G...5
Dame Joan Sutherland/Helen Watts/Wilfred Brown/Thomas Hemsley/G...6

I can switch between track 2 and 5 with:

(setq last-kbd-macro
   "\C-n\C-k\C-n\C-n\C-n\C-k\C-p\C-p\C-p\C-y\C-a\C-n\C-n\C-n\C-y\371\C-a")

This is exactly how it would work in any text buffer too.

>> But recognizing that people sometime want to just remove the track,
>> there has always been the "D" binding in the playlist buffer, aka
>> `emms-playlist-mode-kill-entire-track'. Does it do what you want?
>
> No.  Unless I'm at BOL it acts like C-k.  If at BOL it works as if
> kill-whole-line is t.  In the patch C-k works like D at BOL
> everywhere.

D should be changed to work exactly like your patch.