Re: Emms not working with MPD

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Emms not working with MPD
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 17:53:51 -0400

Alexis Praga <alexis.praga@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried to use MPD with EMMS but it only works partially. I can play
> and pause music but adding new tracks does not work.
>
> Running `emms-cache-set-from-mpd-directory` displays
>> Dumping MusicPD data to cache...processing
> but never finishes (even for a small folder).
>
> MPD works fine outside emacs with ncmpcpp and the server is answering.
>
> Here is my config (I'm using doom emacs) :
>
> (use-package emms
>   :config
>     (require 'emms-setup)
>     (require 'emms-player-mpd)
>     (emms-all) ; don't change this to values you see on stackoverflow
> questions if you expect emms to work

`emms-all' (as the name suggests) already requires `emms-player-mpd'.

>     (setq emms-player-list '(emms-player-mpd))
>     (add-to-list 'emms-info-functions 'emms-info-mpd)
>     (add-to-list 'emms-player-list 'emms-player-mpd)
>
>     ;; Socket is not supported
>     (setq emms-player-mpd-server-name "localhost")
>     (setq emms-player-mpd-server-port "6600")
>     (setq emms-player-mpd-music-directory "/data/music")

I have it connected to a remote machine (I don't actually use mpd, but
have that machine for testing Emms), but my setup looks similar aside
from that, and aside from the fact that I don't use "use-package" or
doom.

It should work, at its simplest, if you invoke:

    emms-player-mpd-connect

...followed by:

    emms-player-mpd-update-all

Can you please do that and report back?